How to Boil Water

I hear all the time about how people "can't cook".  They seem to have a mental block where all things food, save for eating, is concerned.  Boiling water is a challenge.  During a conversation with a cooking challenged friend, I asked how this could be possible.  It seems so simple to me, this idea of cooking, how in the world can it be so complicated for others?  The discussion enlightened me, and I offered lessons to her. So, if you are cooking challenged, here is the first lesson.

Pay attention. 

Seriously,  that is the first order of business.  We have to pay attention to our recipes, our stoves, our ingredients and the time.  My daughter wants to be a good cook.  She has made multiple attempts at this, and it seems that she is chasing an impossible dream.  Her main problem? She doesn't pay attention and will therefore lose steps and/or forget ingredients.

Here is your first pratical lesson; boiling water.
1. Put a pan of water on the stove.
2. Turn the heat on high, put a lid on the pot.
3. Wait; when the water starts bubbling a little, this is a simmer, not a boil.  When it is bubbling and rolling and generally looks very active, this is a rolling boil.  It is ready for whatever you need to boil.

If you are prone to distraction, then set a timer in 5 minute intervals to remind yourself to check on the water. :) 


 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

2 comments:

~Jamie~ said...

Hi! New blog follower here --- following from Molding Minds Homeschool "New Friend Friday Link Up".....I had to post on this one when I saw it. I am a terrible cook and was literally LOL when I saw it! ;) Might have to take some cooking tips from you! The crepes looked amazing!! :)

Anonymous said...

i love the soda!!!!! you are so like me! (only i don't do diet)

Post a Comment

I <3 your comments! Please feel free to leave a comment and share where you blog as well!

Search This Blog